Friday, June 6, 2014

Autism

Today I am participating in a blog hop. Kelly’s Korner is hosting a blog hop specifically for parents of special needs children. As parents with special needs children, it can be difficult to connect with other parents who understand what we are going through. Kelly’s hope is to connect parents of children with special needs with other parents who have similar challenges. I have met a lot of great people online who have helped me in one way or another with the different challenges that come with raising a child on the spectrum. Hopefully I will continue to meet people or my story will help someone else going through similar issues.
Christopher is 10 years old. He has severe autism. He is non-verbal. I started to notice a difference in his behavior right before he turned two. When I say difference in behavior, I mean I noticed he was different from most children his age. He was always delayed with milestones and he had a lot of unusual quirky behavior for a child of his age. I know when I just say it like that it doesn’t sound like a big deal, but if you saw the things he was doing and how obsessed he was with doing those things….
1506742_1426619820904518_2102989629_n
At his 18 month check up, his doctor asked me if I was concerned about his development. I knew he was behind, but I wasn’t too concerned about it at that point. Somewhere between that check up and his 2 year check up, I started to get concerned. He wasn’t responding to people very much at all. He wasn’t trying to develop his communication skills when  he needed something. Most kids by age 2 would try to verbalize their needs using words, but Chris still got our attention by crying the way an infant does.
I Googled some of the symptoms that concerned me and found an article that listed 9 characteristics of autism. At the age of 2, Chris had 7 of the traits on the list. I printed that article and brought it with me to his 2 year check up. The pediatrician spent a great deal of time with us. She preformed a hearing test. She gave us further instructions on where to go to get additional testing done. She suggested the possibility of autism, but wanted a neurologist to give us the final diagnosis. We had several tests done and like most autism cases, the tests all came back normal.  The neurologist confirmed our pediatrician’s fears and my fears as well. Chris had autism.
We started speech therapy and occupational therapy right away. The therapists came to our house for almost a year. My husband’s job transferred us to another state. He started getting services from the school district when we moved. We were seeing some results, but nothing over the top extraordinary. About the time he got his 4 year shots, he got a new teacher. There was a lot of regression during that time. I started to notice that anytime there was change, he would regress. He also seemed to have the attitude that once he knew how to do something, there was no need to do it anymore.
Today he is 10 years old. It has been a while since we have seen significant progress in Chris. The good news is he is mostly happy. He is beginning to develop some aggression issues at school and we are trying to figure out how to deal with that. Hopefully that will stop now that it is summer vacation. He will attend the extended school year program which begins in July.
I’d love to hear from anyone who has a special needs child. Even if you aren’t dealing with autism, I’ve found we may not be dealing with the same diagnosis, but there are still some things that might be similar. Thanks for stopping by!
Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your son with us. I have a 4 yr old with mild autism. He is mostly happy but has a speech delay. Can you tell me about your adventures in potty training? I really have no clue what to do. I have other children who have pt with no issue but autism has definitely proven to be more difficult. My email is susan.gonzalez@ yahoo.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris is not yet potty trained. I also have a 5 year old on the spectrum, but he is mild. He is potty trained and I will be honest with you, it took a lot of time and a lot of work, but it is possible. What worked for us was letting him run around the house bottomless all day. I hated that decision but it was the only way we made any progress with him. It took a little over a month with him running around bottomless before he would pee on the potty. It took FOREVER to get him to poop on the potty. He was peeing on the potty for a year and a half before he finally pooped on the potty. We couldn't keep him bottomless because he started school shortly after he starting to pee on the potty. It was just a couple of months ago that we buckled down and kept him bottomless while we were at home. My husband and I both hated having him bottomless for so long. We tried all the other ways and nothing worked like letting him run around without pants on. It isn't ideal, but hopefully it will work for you.

      Delete
  2. I have an eight year old son that was originally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and is now, lumped into the PDD-NOS bracket. He is higher function and very, very verbal, but we still have challenges. We see regression when big changes happen, like when he lost his favorite para at school and had to get a new one. He also gets extremely fixated. Right now, it is Submarines, Tanks and World War II. We had also seen aggression at school, almost a Jekyll and Hyde situation. So, I can relate on some levels. Not all, but some and that's better than none!

    ReplyDelete