Thursday, April 24, 2014

Choices

Why do we make the choices we make? I believe it is our own choices that determine the outcome of our happiness. Not too long ago, God gave me a glimpse of myself, that revealed to me why I have made so many of the choices I did in my life. I was driving in the car after dropping the kids off at school. God usually spends time working on my heart during those few minutes where I am by myself. As I was driving along, not really thinking about anything, out of the blue God sent me a reminder to show me who I am. The reminder was this:
When it comes to home ownership, the idea of buying a run down, fixer upper type home and doing the renovations to build something even more beautiful is so much more appealing than buying a brand new home.
You might be thinking, “So what?”
In my life, I’ve always made the choice to do things the hard way. I can’t count how many times people would tell me, “This way would be easier.” I didn’t care. I wanted to put forth the effort to do it the way that was more difficult. I never knew why, it just seemed more appealing to me. I guess that’s just who I am. Once God made me understand just how much that meant to me, I began to understand why I made so many of the choices I had made in my life.
Knowing this tidbit of information about myself makes me feel like many aspects of my life make sense. Including the choices I had made in some of my relationships. Why there was such a big struggle in my marriage. It’s because God knew I needed that time to renovate my marriage in order to find my happiness. Luckily, God protected me throughout my life, not only by keeping me strong. He did a pretty good job of giving me people who were willing to go through the struggle with me. I am thankful to have this understanding of myself and to know why I make the choices I make.
Also, I am now able to realize when it is time to let go. Sometimes God put people in my life that didn’t want to go through the struggle. I didn’t understand why. Now I know I don’t need to understand why. I know that God either has something else in store for them, or it just isn’t the right time. I know I don’t have to force my ways on them because if it is in God’s will, it will happen, God will find a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment