Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Making Changes

In the beginning, I wasn’t looking for God. I started going to church because my daughter wanted to go and I wanted to raise her with good morals and strong values. I believed raising her in church would accomplish that goal. I researched different churches, trying to find one suitable for our family. It was really important to me that the church catered to children. It was my daughter who wanted to go and I was determined to make sure her experience was a good one.
We found a church that seemed to suit our needs. There were some things about that church I didn’t like, but there was more positives than negatives so we stayed at that church. Besides, my daughter loved it. We didn’t always make it a point to go every Sunday. It seemed to be if we were all awake and dressed, then we’d go.
I didn’t particularly care to learn about God at the time, but I was hearing things that made me think about myself and what kind of person I was and what kind of person I wanted to be. I was developing a better understanding of the roles God had intended for us as a family unit.
I realize I am probably going to get some negative feedback on what I am about to say. I hope you can read the next few sentences and accept that this is working for me in my marriage and regardless of what anyone thinks or says, I am going to continue doing what works for my marriage.
I started to understand what it really means when a wife submits to her husband. I don’t know how to explain the true meaning to someone else. But I think it only works if you are with the right person.  It was hard, so very hard, but I started to try to allow my husband to take on more of a leadership role in our home. I tried to take on more of a care taker role in our household. It took a long time for me to feel comfortable to this change. I spent a lot of time in the beginning reminding myself that I chose to marry this man. I should be able to trust him to make decisions for us. It took a while, but as it became more natural to me, I could see the improvement in my marriage.
I became inspired, I started thinking, since this worked, I’m going to try other things I learn in church to see what changes happen in my life. Every time I did something the way the church said; the way God intended it to be, my life changed for the better. Years went by and I still wasn’t really looking for God, I was looking to have a happier family and make myself a better person. The changes didn’t happen over night. It was a long, slow process. Sometimes, I would fail, so I’d try harder next time. I continued making changes in myself and the way I viewed things. I’d stick with one area of my life to avoid getting overwhelmed. Somewhere along the way, I happened to find God. Now it’s getting easier for me to make the choices to live a life the way God intended. From my own experience, there are definitely benefits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment